Our Alfie moto, Don't. cry because its over, smile because it happened.

Our Alfie moto, Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened.Dr Seuss







Wednesday 2 May 2012

123 - a move is on the cards

We had a big meeting today with the stroke liaison nurse. She is so kind, down to earth and positive and yet I still feel shocked and somewhat numb when I realise mid conversation that we are discussing my lovely, articulate, generous, kind, funny, astute dad - where has that guy gone? I swear he is in there somewhere - you must all be bored of me saying that (you've no idea how many times a day I reassure myself!!! take heart that I only write it down once a day or you would be as demented as I am). Liaison nurse is optimistic that he will go into the under 65 unit at Cameron hopefully next week.

He is much more settled today, so no escape as yet, although he maybe using a covert tactic and planning - somehow unlikely, as it is 'impulse control' that has been damaged, he doesn't take stock of or observe, he just does nae planning involved. Apparently something he will relearn. We were also told today although we can never say never he has suffered significant damage to his speech and it will require huge therapy. Isn't it funny how things change, initially we were so concerned about him being able to talk - now I don't care, I've lowered the bar already - now I'd be over the moon if I thought he could comprehend his situation and understand us.

Peggy visited today, she was similar to Archie in her response - but warmed as time went on and then didn't want to leave - the opposite to her Granda. Dad was great with her, smiling and attempting to chat.

Tonight, a guy who was visiting someone else came over and said Hi Alan - none of us knew who he was, he said to dad you won't recognise me - we all looked bewildered, then he said his name at which point my Dad straight away lit up, tried to sit forward and shake with his bad arm...he was so animated, he said 'i think'.....and trailed off as usual - another new word though. He also used hand gestures to make a point.
Hmmm he is so selective in his responses, the therapy road is gonna be a mystery tour!

What braw to see him smiling the day xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment